Brent Carpenter (appointed November 2017)
WLUSA has 3 representatives appointed to this Committee. These representatives will be provided with time off with full compensation and benefits to attend all meetings of the Committee, to fulfill all responsibilities to the Committee, sub-committees, or working groups formed by the Committee.
The JHSC is an advisory group of worker & management representatives and functions within the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and all applicable Regulations, guidelines, and standards. Laurier has two multi-workplace JHSC’s. One joint for Laurier’s Waterloo campus and Laurier’s Ktichener location and one for Laurier’s Brantford Campus. As a function of the multi-workplace structure, this committee also includes the addition of Auxiliary Worker Members (AWM’s) under each committee. All are key players in the Internal Responsibility System (IRS).
The remaining members, who exercise managerial duties, will be appointed by the Principal/Vice President of Laurier’s Brantford campus.
All members will be asked to serve a minimum three-year term on the committee and must attend Basic Certification Training. There will be no restrictions on the number of terms a member may serve.
- Ensure workplace inspections are conducted monthly.
- Identify situations that may be a source of hazard or danger.
- Review health and safety concerns.
- Make recommendations for the improvement of health and safety.
- Obtain information respecting health and safety experience, work practices and standards, the identification of hazards, and be consulted on workplace tests for the purpose of occupational health and safety.
- Recommend the establishment, maintenance and monitoring of programs, as well, measures and procedures respecting health and safety.
- Designate a level 2 certified worker member, and an alternate level 2 certified worker member, (refer to Work Refusal Process) to attend a work refusal or work stoppage, investigate a critical injury or fatality, attend beginning of occupational health and safety testing, if required, and accompany Ministry of Labour inspector’s investigations and inspections of the workplace.
- Review annually Laurier’s environmental and occupational health and safety policies, programs and appendices. Their review shall include effectiveness, and JHSC members’ OHSA responsibilities, including Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) and Designated Substances Regulations. Confidentiality will be maintained, as required.
- Ensure that all members, including Auxiliary Worker Members, have adequate training in workplace inspection and the designated member(s) have specific training on the right to refuse unsafe work.