Did you know – Using a personal vehicle on University business

The following is taken from Wilfrid Laurier University’s reimbursement handbook. One key area to focus on is insurance. If you get into an accident while driving on university business in your own vehicle, you may not be covered unless you have updated your insurance policy.

Using a Personal Vehicle on University Business

Individuals may elect to use their personal automobile on University business if they have the appropriate licence, the vehicle legally registered, and in safe, roadworthy condition. The individual should inform their insurance company when a personal vehicle is being used for business purposes and seek advice on any changes to their insurance coverage based on this use. They should also consult with their insurance provider before transporting other passengers, and are responsible for paying all (if any) associated costs in the premium. Laurier is not liable for these additional premium costs. Individuals driving their vehicles on Laurier business are required to carry a minimum of $1,000,000 automobile liability insurance.

When driving a personal vehicle on University business, there is no insurance coverage for collision or third party liability under the university corporate insurance policies. In the event of an accident, the individual’s auto insurance policy provides exclusive coverage for both collision and liability, and they must pay the deductibles required by their auto insurance policy. Laurier is not responsible for deductibles owing for their personal auto insurance policy.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Did You Know?, Laurier